Last year, we set a goal to watch 52 sunsets together, all at different locations. That was our relationship goal.
This year, to up the game, we are changing things up. We aim to spend more time together, to do something we don’t do very often, and turn a chore into a fun event. We vow to eat healthier this year, eat clean foods, cook more meals at home.
So, our goal this year, is 1-2-3:
1 main ingredient
2 chefs (us!)
Our main ingredient for January is Cauliflower.
We bought a white, cheddar, and purple cauliflower. You can absolutely do fine with just one type of cauliflower.
Our menu is:
- Creamy tomato cauliflower soup
- Cauliflower steak
- Cheesy cauliflower tots
Let’s start with the soup first.
- First, chopped up a medium sized onion.
- Add some oil (we use coconut oil) into a pot. Heat up the oil. Add the onions and sautéed for a minute
- Add the cauliflower florets (we use the cheddar cauliflower)
- Add in 3 cups of water
- Add tomatoes (5 small roma tomatoes, wedged)
- Bring to a boil. Then turn to medium heat. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add 1 cup of milk. Bring to a boil. Turn off the heat.
- Pour the soup into a blender. Blend until creamy.
- That’s it. Serve on a bowl. Garnish. Enjoy!
Next, the cauliflower steak:
- Cut up the cauliflower in large pieces (we use the purple cauliflower)
- Season with smoked salt (we use Whiskey Oak Seasonings), smoked paprika, and herb de Provence
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Baked the cauliflower for 15 minutes.
- Tada! Steak’s done!
At last, our favorite, the cheesy cauli-carrot tots! This is a healthier version of the traditional potato tater tots filled with lots of fiber, antioxidants and vitamins. This is the most challenging, but also the most fun to make.
- In a food processor pulse two medium carrots and about ¼ of white cauliflower(~8 ounces). I chose to use a cheese grater on the carrots and rough chopped the cauliflower until it was rice-like in texture. (you can also buy precut cauliflower called cauliflower rice if you are too lazy to chop yourself)
- In a large glass bowl, combine the grated carrots and chopped cauliflower and toss with 1 Tbsp of Olive oil and 1/4 tsp salt. Cover with Paper towel and microwave on high for 3 minutes and let it cool slightly.
- While the cauli-carrot mixture is cooling, you will now mix about ¾ cup shredded Parmesan cheese, ¾ cup Sharp cheddar cheese, 1 clove of finely chopped garlic, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1/4 tsp salt with about ¾ cup of panko in a large bowl.
- The next step is pretty messy and sticky, I recommend wearing some Nitrile gloves. Mix the cooled cauli-carrot mixture to the panko mixture until well combined.
- Spray a baking sheet with a non stick spray, we prefer one that is organic and does not use propellant.
- Now using your hands, roll tablespoons of the cauli-panko mixture into tater-tot shapes and put on the Prepared sheet. Put it in the Refrigerator and chill for 10 minutes so the mixture does not fall apart.
- You will need two shallow dishes and small bowl in the next step. Almost like an assembly line. In the first shallow dish you will place 1 cup of flour. In the small bowl beside it, you will beat 3 large eggs and the last shallow dish you will put 1.5 cups of panko mixed with 5 tbsp of olive oil.
- Working in batches, toss tots in flour, then dredge in egg, shake off excess, then coat in panko mixture and return to Baking sheet. Chill for at least 15 minutes.
- Now you have to decide if you want extra crispy tots or healthier tots without added oil. For healthier tots, bake the tots at 425° F for 15-20 minutes. For crispier tots, fry tots in 1” Coconut oil until golden brown about 2 minutes each.
Stay tuned for our next month’s Date Night episode. Sign up at www.TheFoolishCouple.com